Friday Night Sound Waves, the FREE live music series taking place every Friday through November 18 from 5:30 – 8:30pm, at The Hub on Fort Lauderdale Beach, will mix it up in May with music ranging from Classic Rock to Classic Oldies, and Reggae Roots to Latin Funk. The series of concerts, sponsored in part by Mist TWST™, also serves as the launch of the Salute to Military Series, with five dates dotted throughout May, July, September and November to benefit United Way of Broward County’s MISSION UNITED initiative.
The first MISSION UNITED benefit and Salute to Military performance takes place on May 6, and serves as the official Welcome Party of the 2016 Fort Lauderdale Air Show. The evening will feature a performance by South Florida’s favorite Classic Rock band, MR. NICE GUY. A public meet and greet with air show pilots, sponsored by Yuengling and the It’s Better On the Beach Restaurant Group, follows the performance. Through a generous gift from The Fort Lauderdale Air Show, an online raffle will take place April 21 through May 5, with the chance to win an Exclusive ‘Friends of the Air Show’ Family Four (4) Pack. Not available for sale, the prize package includes, complimentary parking, private reserved seating in the Friends Tent, and other perks. 100% of the ticket sales benefit United Way of Broward County’s MISSION UNITED initiative, a critical program supporting United States military veterans and their families as they re-acclimate to civilian life and focuses on employment services, legal assistance, education, financial services, health and housing support. Raffle tickets are available for purchase online at www.FridayNightSoundWaves.com.
“Two of the members of our staff were hired through United Way of Broward County’s MISSION UNITED’s employment service, and another is currently serving in the Army Reserve” said series producer, Arianne Glassman. “In planning this highlighted series we were also pleasantly surprised to see how many members of our featured bands once served our country. With the return of the Air Show and Fleet Week in early May, and support of Mist TWST™ and area beach businesses, this series exemplifies how a simple thing like music can connect and contribute to our community.”
Other highlights of the month include THE RESOLVERS, an 11-piece “big band” combining Roots Reggae and New Orleans-style Funk on May 13. Their shows have been described as “explosive” and “must see,” and have gained them the reputation as one of the area’s premier live reggae acts. On May 20, things spice up with a performance by the Miami-based powerhouse band, SUÉNALO. Best known for their Funk, Reggae, Latin Jazz, Afro-Caribbean rhythms, they are the ‘quintessential embodiment’ of Miami as melting pot. Pepsi Bottling Company’s new product, Mist TWST™, sponsors both dates, and will sample their new combination “twist” sodas on-site the entire month of May from the Mist TWST™ van.
From a global gumbo to classic American tunes, The May 27th performance by THE SHINDIGS, invites you to relive the happy days of the past with a top-notch musical tribute to the feel-good sounds of the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s. As the lead-in to Memorial Day weekend, it also serves as the second date in the Salute to Military series, with the fun continuing Saturday at the City of Fort Lauderdale’s Fifth Annual Great American Beach Party. For information on special weekend hotel packages, nearby restaurant specials, activities and more, visit Fort Lauderdale Beach’s official website, www.MyFortLauderdaleBeach.com.
The Friday Night Sound Waves Live Music series is Free to the public through major funding support by the Fort Lauderdale Beach Business Improvement District, as well as series sponsors the Fort Lauderdale Beach CRA, Pepsi Bottling Company, Mist TWST™, The Beach 102.7 FM, 101.5 LITE FM, 104.3 FM The Shark, The Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association and Visit Florida. Nightly performance sponsors include the It’s Better on the Beach Restaurant Group, Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Central Beach Alliance, Bahia Cabana Beach Resort, Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, The Las Olas Association and area homeowner’s associations.
About Friday Night Sound Waves
Taking place every Friday night from 5:30 – 8:30pm at “The Hub” on Fort Lauderdale Beach at Las Olas Boulevard and A1A, the 36-week Friday Night Sound Waves live music series is free to the public and features a diverse mix of Jazz, Blues, Country, Latin Fusion, Top 40, Reggae, World and Classic Rock performers. For more information and the complete schedule of performances and events, please visit www.FridayNightSoundWaves.com or follow Friday Night Sound Waves on social media: facebook.com/FridayNightSoundWaves, twitter.com/SoundWavesFLB.
Friday Night Sound Waves’ Line-Up Of 2016 Performers
- March 18 – Tom Satori | Top 40: Dance
- March 25 – The Rocket Man | Tribute: Elton John
- April 1 – Ed Calle | Jazz: Latin
- April 8 – Electric Piquete | Jazz: Latin Fusion
- April 15 – Andrew Morris Band | Country
- April 22 – Joel DaSilva | Jazz: Chicago Blues
- April 29 – Jesse Jones Jr. | Jazz: Classic/Fusion
- May 6 – Mr. Nice Guy | Classic Rock
- May 13 – The Resolvers | Reggae: Big Band Jazz/Funk
- May 20 – Suenalo | Latin: Fusion
- May 27 – The Shindigs | Oldies: 50’s- 70’s Rock & Roll
- June 3 – Free Radicals | Top 40: Dance
- June 10 – Eugene Grey | Reggae/Jazz
- June 17 – Grace and the Victory Riders | Indie: World
- June 24 – Across the Universe | Tribute: Beatles
- July 1 – Weedline | Classic Rock
- July 8 – Party Express | Top 40: Dance
- July 15 – Sabor Latino | Latin: Brazilian and Samba
- July 22 – Spread the Dub | Reggae: Funk, Roots
- July 29 – Piano Bob’s 88’s | Jazz: Boogie Woogie
- August 5 – Jimmy Stowe | Top 40: Tropical
- August 12 – David Morin Elvis | Tribute: Elvis
- August 19 – JL Fulks | Jazz: Indie, Blues
- August 26 – Celebration | Top 40: Dance
- Sept 2 – Woody & the Longboards | Oldies Rock & Roll
- Sept 9 – Pocket Change | Top 40: R&B/ Funk/Soul
- Sept 16 – UpRoot Hootenanny | Indie: Folk/Roots/Irish
- Sept 23 – Simply Tina | Tribute: Tina Turner
- Sept 30 – Joel DaSilva | Jazz: Blues
- Oct 7 – Shane Duncan | Country
- Oct 14 – Full Moon Party | New Disco
- Oct 21 – Big City Dogs | Classic Rock
- Oct 28 – Blues Brothers | Tribute: Blue Brothers Show
- Nov 4 – Sosos | Indie: Singer Songwriter
- Nov 11 – The Fabulons| Oldies: 50’s- 70’s Rock & Roll
- Nov 18 – PALO! | Latin: Afro-Cuban Jazz