Local divers and fans of lobster will enjoy a series of events in and around Lauderdale by the Sea to celebrate the kickoff of lobster mini-season which officially begins after the stroke of midnight on Wednesday, July 24th and ends at midnight, Thursday, July 25th, 2019. The Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea celebrates Florida’s two-day lobster mini-season with a fun week of events, including the Great Florida Bug Hunt, a Mini-Season Kickoff Party at Plunge Beach Hotel, lobster chef competition and a free music concert to benefit Diveheart, a non-profit that teaches people with disabilities how to scuba dive, and much more!
Sponsored again by Reef Safe, this year’s event is from Tuesday, July 23, 2019, to Saturday, July 27, 2019, and features a free concert on July 27 to benefit Diveheart, a non-profit that teaches people with disabilities how to scuba dive. In addition to great Reef Safe sun care products, participating divers can win $15,000 in cash and dive gear prizes and trips.
Unlike the Keys, divers during lobster mini-season, divers are permitted to night dive for lobsters and bag up to 12 bugs per day!
Online registration opens on June 1, 2019. The contest fee is $20. Divers receive a BugFest Goody Bag and BugFest T-shirt.
BugFest 2019 events
- Tuesday, July 23rd, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Free Bug Hunting Seminar with “Chiefy” at Plunge Beach Hotel (4660 El Mar Dr., Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL 33308). Celebrate with live music by The Scuba Cowboy, appearances by ScubaRadio mermaids, fresh bites and free locally-crafted draft beer for the first one hundred people to sign in.
- Wednesday, July 24th – Catch & Cook at the Sands Marina & Resort in Pompano Beach
- Thursday, July 25th, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. – Free BugFest Lobster Chef Competition diver awards and a speed painting performance by Dale Henry. at the Beach Pavilion/Ocean Plaza where Commercial Boulevard means the ocean.
- Thursday, July 25th, 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. – Free BugFest Mini-Season Diver Awards Party at the Beach Pavilion/Ocean Plaza.
- Friday, July 26th, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Free Florida Reef Fish ID Presentation at Jarvis Hall in Lauderdale by the Sea.
- Saturday, July 27th, 8 a.m. – 10 a.m. – Free Anglin’s Pier Clean-Up Dive with Gold Coast Scuba and PADI’s Project Aware, followed by a free barbecue at Ocean Treasures Hotel on El Mar Drive.
- Saturday, July 27th, 6:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. BugFest concludes on Saturday night with an evening of live music in Anglin’s Square to benefit Diveheart, a non-profit that teaches people with disabilities how to scuba dive. Bands scheduled to play this free concert include Weedline, The Capricorn Blues Band, The Coppertones and Wolfhawk. $20 raffle tickets will benefit Diveheart. Prizes include a 2-Night Stay at the Hilton Bimini with round trip ferry transportation; a week-long liveaboard trip with Scuba Adventures on Blackbeard Cruise to the Bahamas Out Islands; a Hollis Wrist Dive Computer, and other prizes. This is the third annual concert BugFest has held for Diveheart.
A number of other events, including beach diving clinics and photo contests are also free.
Details and registration available online at: www.discoverlbts.com/bugfest/
Event updates and discussion can be found at: www.facebook.com/pg/BugfestByTheSea/
If you still have questions about BugFest, call Steve at (954) 640-4209 or e-mail [email protected].