Miramar is proud to kick off Caribbean–American Heritage Month on June 1, 2023, at Miramar City Hall Plaza located at 2300 Civic Center Place from 10am–12pm to honor the month designated to celebrate the Caribbean’s rich heritage. The event, hosted by Vice Mayor Alexandra P. Davis, is free and open to the public to showcase the Caribbean American entertainment happening in Miramar all month long. The City of Miramar has a population of just under 140,000 residents and according to the 2020 census, shows there is a 40% immigrant population with most of these originating from the Caribbean.
“We are pleased to kick-off Caribbean American Heritage month and bring to our Miramar residents exciting events and activities to commemorate the beautiful journey of the Caribbean people. So much of what we have come to experience and enjoy in food, music, and entertainment is heavily influenced by the Caribbean culture. A great way to experience this is to attend the Kick-Off event on June 1st as well as the 3rd annual Taste of the Caribbean Islands event on June 24th and other spectacular activities hosted by our city,” said Vice Mayor Davis.
The kickoff event is in partnership with Grace Foods and will feature Steel Drum, Moko Jumbies, live performances and Caribbean food samples. There will also be a special performance by GianPaul & the Latin Soul band and the Steel Away band. Causion, the international artiste from Antigua, will thrill the audience with a few of his hit songs. Other activities around Caribbean America Heritage month include:
- Vernacular Spectacular June 1-August 6, at the Miramar Multicultural Center| Artspark
- Yoga with a Caribbean theme hosted by Mayor Wayne M. Messam every Saturday in June at the Miramar Civic Center Place
- Caribbean -American Arts & Crafts Sale June 10, 12noon-5pm at the Miramar branch library
- Caribbean Crafty Kids June 10, 1pm – 2pm at the Miramar Branch Library
- Taste of the Caribbean Islands, June 24 3pm-11pm at Vizcaya Park, hosted by Vice Mayor Alexandra P. Davis
- Bahamas Junkanoo Culture Fest, July 22 at 6pm at Miramar Regional Park Amphitheater hosted by Commissioners Maxwell B. Chambers
To attend the events, register at: CAHMKICKOFF2023.eventbrite.com and for any information, contact the Caribbean American kickoff event hosts at (954) 602-3178.