Shipwreck Park and The Sample-McDougald House Preservation Society have come together again to put on the 2nd Annual Taste of Shipwreck Park & Lionfish Derby. Try samplings of Lionfish dishes prepared by the best of our local chefs! Enjoy a fun evening including art, diving and marine conservation booths, celebrity judges, and live music by the Andrew Morris Band.
The purpose of this event is to bring our community together to help educate and fight the devastating effects of Lionfish off the shores of Pompano Beach, an area known as Shipwreck Park.
Highlights of “Taste of Shipwreck Park”
- try samplings of Lionfish & other local cuisine dishes prepared by the best of our local chefs!
- Enjoy a fun evening including art, diving and marine conservation booths
- Celebrity judges & People’s Choice Awards for best dishes
- Live Music by The Andrew Morris Band (Country)
All tickets include unlimited food sampling, entertainment and 1 drink ticket
$15 Children (12-16)
Tickets may be purchased online via: www.eventbrite.com/e/taste-of-shipwreck-park-tickets-65150351455
- Lionfish have no natural predator.
- Lionfish are an invasive species that is pushing over 100 species of fish into extinction, including Snapper and Grouper.
- They are destroying our natural reefs by consuming the fish that would normally inhabit and eat the reef algae making it Impossible for coral to continue to grow.
- One fertile Lionfish can produce up to 30,000 eggs in 4 days.
- They consume more food than any other predator, up to 90% of their body weight a day.
- One Lionfish can consume 80% of the reefs baitfish within 5 weeks of arrival.
- In our lifetime, Lionfish will be one of the largest natural disasters the Atlantic Ocean will encounter.
The one good thing about Lionfish is that they taste good, often compared to Snapper. It is our hope that we can create a demand in our local fish markets and restaurants – creating an exponential need for divers to harvest this devastating species.
You Might Also be interested in:
Lionfish Derby Saturday 8/17/19 7:30am – 4pm Scoring at Alsdorf Park / Boat Ramp Noon – 4pm
2-Person Team $50 registration – Includes Divers Meeting, Tournament Entry, Cash Awards, & Taste of Shipwreck Park Event Entry
If you are interested in participating in the Lionfish Derby earlier in the day please visit: www.ShipWreckParkPompano.org
Follow updates via Facebook: www.facebook.com/events/2369452526631302/
Date(s) - 08/17/2019
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Sample-McDougald House 450 Northeast 10th Street, Pompano Beach, FL, 33060