On September 22nd, we lost a South Florida Icon, Rick Shaw. On Sunday, October 22nd from 5 – 9 pm, come join fans, friends, co-workers, clients and celebrities at Gulfstream Park’s ‘Sport of Kings’ as we pay tribute to The Legend with a special event to benefit Kids In Distress.
- Stroll through Rick’s amazing 50-year career on radio and TV, brought to life through audio and video clips.
- Check out the reunions of two of Rick’s favorite Morning Shows – Greg Budell, Don (Agony) Anthony and Dawn Murray from WAXY 106; and Mindy Lang and Vance Phillips from Magic 102.7.
- Bring home a lasting memory – bid on Exclusive Rick Shaw memorabilia in a Silent Auction to benefit Kids in Distress. You could win your very own Greek Fisherman’s Cap, or pick up one of the remaining Silver Pennies Rick always gave out.
- Live DJ, plus a special live performance by Chris MacDonald with his ‘Memories of Elvis‘ show.
- The musical legacy continues when Rick’s son, Sean, takes the stage with his band to play some of Rick’s favorite songs for you!
Admission is free; we ask that you bring a new, unwrapped toy for Kids in Distress. Everyone who brings a toy will receive a complimentary CD of Rick’s Final Radio Broadcast.
Food and Beverages will be available for purchase; and $1 from every Signature Special – the Rick Shaw Bloody Mary – will go to Kids in Distress!
Meet the folks from Kids in Distress, find out about the great work they do in our community, and hear success stories from kids who credit KID with saving their lives!!
It will be a most memorable night.
Longtime Miami Radio Star Rick Shaw
Rick Shaw, Legendary south FLORIDA on-air personality RICK SHAW (real name: JIM HUMMEL) passed away this morning. SHAW spent 51 years on the radio, highlighted by very successful stints at the old WAXY 105.9 and WMXJ (MAJIC 102.7) MIAMI, once generating a 54 share.at WQAM.
He also hosted a “SATURDAY Hop” afternoon TV show on Channel 10 in the ’60s, as well as a weekday morning show on WLBW-TV, where rock and roll songs being lip-synched by local performers in SOUTH FLORIDA scenes. He was also a PD at WAXY before going to WMXJ, where he was instrumental in supporting the MAJIC CHILDREN’S FUND, a charity that assists needy children especially around the holidays. He retired on MAY 11th, 2007. Visit the Rick Shaw Tribute Page on Facebook.
More info and updates can be found online at: https://www.facebook.com/events/145847432699586/
Date(s) - 10/22/2017
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Gulfstream Park & Casino